The Spectrum Games Database
Please note this content is from the original WoS site, and may no longer be relevant. If you have any queries, please contact us.
THE SPECTRUM GAMES DATABASE
SGD offers you the following:
- A full database system for all your precious Spectrum programs,
- A great, very easy to use, Graphical User Interface (GUI),
- Full use of your mouse, even a 3rd button,
- Easy file handling, also on floppies,
- Amiga style menu system, keyboard controlable,
- Fully user configurable,
- Multiple databases,
- An unlimited number of entries per database,
- Automatic sort by game name in full lexicographic style,
- Typed-Name feature to easily find a specific game,
- Very powerful selection criterion including selecting by hand,
- Fully user customizable paginated printing of the entire database or only the selected part,
- Possibility to save only the selected part,
- Compatibility with all PCs with a 386 or up,
- Screenshot creation in compressed GIF87a or raw (.SCR) format,
- Includes game information system,
- Includes game cheat-poke system,
- Creation and maintenance of info files per game in either ASCII or ZX-Edit format,
- Creation and maintenance of screenshot files per game,
- Creation and maintenance of pokes files per game,
- Maintenance of cassette inlay scans per game,
- Lauch selected games from within SGD either normal or pre-poked,
- Launch TAPER on tape and snapshot files,
- Lets you have your selected joystick ‘connected’ when launching a selected game,
- View BASIC parts of a game in full Spectrum context, with full Spectrum character set and attribute support, including FLASH and UDG remapping,
The listing can be saved out to ASCII file.
- Can import, validate and find new installed games,
- Support for emulators Z80, JPP, Warajevo, X128, WSpecEm, ZX, Spanish Spectrum emulator, ZX-32, R80, the Russian Spectrum Emulator and RealSpectrum,
- Supports filetypes Z80 SLT SNA SNP SEM SP MDR VOC TAP LTP TZX TRD FDI DSK SCR and POK,
- TZX, LTP, TAP and MDR indexing,
- Compatible with all types of Level Loaders,
- Optional auto-loading of tape files,
- Database in ASCII format to easily allow converting,
- Perfect compatibility with Windows and OS/2,
- It’s open source, using the GNU General Public License!
- Comes with Unix shell script to convert your database into a WWW archive (see my index for the result),
- Comes with utilities to convert a Warajevo ZX Spectrum emulator database or ZX-Rainbow database to SGD’s database format,
NEW IN VERSION 2.05
Changed the licensing scheme from Freeware to GNU General Public License.
Development was ceased in April 2001. No new version will be released anymore.
In order to be able to use this program you will need the following resources:
- A 80386 or better processor,
- A (Super)VGA card with at least 256Kb,
- A mouse with a fully Microsoft compatible driver (Microsoft compatibility version 6.26 or up),
- At least 4Mb of memory,
- (MS)DOS 5.0 or better,
- A copy of the free DOS/4GW runtime.
Additionally, you will need:
- Loads of Spectrum games 🙂
- One of the supported emulators if you want to play the games.
To give you an idea of how great the interface looks, I added some screenshots. Just click on an image to see it full size (640×480)
Viewing a TAP screen image
Selecting a game
Viewing a game info file
Setting up a pokes database for a game
- Download SGD v2.05 32-bit NOW from FTP or HTTP (including source code, 655,372 bytes)
Download the freeware DOS/4GW runtime (needed for the 32-bit version)
Please note that the database files are in SGD v2.02+ format
and were last updated Oct 5, 2001 and won’t be updated anymore (read: they’re hopelessly out of date!)
- a zipped version of my Games database (6163 entries, 232,442 bytes)
- a zipped version of my Text Adventures database (1155 entries, 49,434 bytes)
- a zipped version of my Demos database (686 entries, 19,613 bytes)
- a zipped version of my Educational database (208 entries, 7,413 bytes)
- a zipped version of my Utilities database (1168 entries, 37,734 bytes)
- a zipped version of my Miscellaneous database (88 entries, 3,243 bytes)
- a zipped version of the Missing In Action database (1165 entries, 24,386 bytes)
- Download a ZX Spectrum emulator
- Download PKUNZIP to uncompress the .ZIP files (29,378 bytes)
DATABASE PROGRAMS BY OTHERS
Naturally, I’m not the only one who got nuts by the vast amount of Spectrum related files on his harddisk and wrote a database program.
For other database programs, please refer to the Utilities section.
All our database programs have compareable options. See for yourself which one you will use.
Naturally, SGD comes with utilities to convert such databases to SGD’s format!
Share the post "The Spectrum Games Database"